Yesterday I decided to pack up the kiddos and take a ride on trax to President Hinckley's viewing. We left at about 1:45 and met Neal downtown at about 2:15. By the time we got to the Conference Center, the lines were reasonably long but not too bad. We stood outside for about a half-hour and made it inside. From there we were herded through a series of snake-shaped lines until we were ushered inside the seating arena and seated into the different sections of the middle level of the center. This process took another hour. When we were finally seated in our section, there were 8 sections ahead of us. We were told the wait from that point would be around an hour and a half to two hours. Neal needed to go back to work, he had some meetings he couldn't get out of, so he reluctantly left me with the two boys. It turned out to be fine. They were showing President Hinckley's 95th birthday celebration on the big screens and playing music. Boe fell asleep and Gage just kind of hung out. We had to make two bathroom breaks but other than that the kids were ANGELS. I have to say that I believe it was Divine Intervention (and those of you who know my kids would probably agree!)
We sat by the cutest lady and her daughter from Sugarhouse and we chatted during our, what turned out to be, very long wait. We sat and watched as the sections on the middle level completely filled up. They then began filling up the sections in the lower level. It was amazing! I couldn't believe how many people were there to honor their Prophet. Finally, after almost two and a half hours, it was our section's turn! They led us out of the arena and up the escalators. There were about 400 people in our section, and at least two other sections in front of us.
We all filed down the Hall of the Prophets on the top level of the Conference Center. As soon as we entered the hall, I can't explain the feeling that was present in the room. There were literally hundreds of people and it was absolutely silent. People had small babies and children and not one of them made a sound. There was soft, beautiful music being played and the hall is lined with busts of former prophets as well as some statues of Jesus Christ and some beautiful artwork. The feeling was undescribable. In the center of the room was the casket of the Prophet of God lying in state. The only thing that separated us from him were some red velvet ropes. We got to walk right past him and it was the most unbelievable experience I have ever had. Gage started crying and said his heart was beating "really" fast Boe was absolutely silent. They both looked at our Prophet and wanted to stay near him. It was incredible. I am sure that every single person who had the opportunity to walk past that casket was changed in some way.
President Hinckley looked so at peace and I left there wanting to be a better person and live a better life. It is amazing to me that this man even in death is still affecting people. The four hour wait was worth every second of the 30 that I got to spend in the Hall of the Prophets paying tribute to a Great Man. I will never forget it.
Saturday, February 2, 2008
"We Thank Thee O God for a Prophet"
Posted by
The Gatherum Family
at
8:12 AM
Labels: Of a Spritual Nature
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
14 comments:
wow, that is an amazing experience! thanks for telling us about it!
It was fun to see you there. I can't believe you did it all by yourself. It was a long wait but well worth it.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I can't believe you did it all by yourself. Mark works across the street and they were watching all of the lines from their office. He couldn't believe all of the people!!!
That is neat that you guys went. I liked reading about your experience.
I just wrote a similar post,,, but my wait was only about 5 minutes. What an experience for you guys. I can't believe Gage was so touched.
That's awesome that you were able to go. What a little sweetie that Gage was so filled with emotion by that experience. I have a friend who, after a similar waiting time of something like 5 hours, followed by 10 seconds in the room with the prophet, had her 8 year old son look up at her and tell her that it had been worth every second. I can imagine that something like that would leave a great impact. How great that you were able to share something like that with your kids too, not only to teach about prophets and their importance, but teaching about death and life after death in a situation that's not as scary as if it was someone they knew more personally, and also about what it is like to feel the Holy Ghost. Amazing! Definitely all worth the wait. I wish I could have gone!
What a great experience. I wish I'd had the guts to brave it with my two kids.
That sounds like a really great experience. I'm glad you still went after Neal left. I'm afraid I would have left too. I'm way too wimpy to go it alone with 2 kids!
You are so brave to take your kids. I really wanted to go to the viewing, but I didn't think Landon would last five minutes. I'm glad you and your kids got to have such a great experience.
Thanks for sharing that, sounds like a really profound experience. Your kids will always be glad they got to be a part of that.
Well, I commented on your windex post, so I may as well let you know how I feel about this one, too. Thank you so much for posting this!!! I wanted to go to the viewing so bad, but there was no way I could, especially with a baby. Your experience was awesome and I loved reading it. I can just imagine the feeling in the room. I knew that's how it would be!
Wow, that is pretty amazing. I would have loved to be there.
You got my name right!
What an amazing experience! I can't even imagine. I thought about going for a second, but with my 4 year old...I just didn't think we would make it. I'm so glad you did! I found you through Christie's blog and I love reading your blog.
Post a Comment